Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Mexican Sloppy Joes

Mexican Sloppy Joes

My daughter and I made this recipe up one day, it's like a kicked-up version of Frito Pie. Marie & Kaiya Van Orden

• 1 lb. ground beef
• 2 cans chili with beans
• 1/4 cup mild salsa (or to taste)
• 1 can Niblets corn, drained
• 1 package Frito's Scoops chips (optional)
• 1 package tortillas (optional)
Garnishes:
• Grated cheese (colby jack is good - it's not oily as it melts)
• Sour cream
• Chopped onion/scallions
• Sliced olives
• OR anything you want - get creative!
Crumble ground beef into pan and cook until done (season as desired). Drain beef and return to pan. Add 2 cans chili, salsa (enough to moisten mixture to desired consistency), and corn - heat until warmed through. Serve in tortillas (roll up in burritos) or over Frito's Scoops and top with desired garnishes. Serve with a salad - this is a dinner that can be pulled together in less than 30 minutes! The ground beef mixture freezes well for future meals.
TIP: I like to buy ground beef in bulk - when I get home, I take 1/2 - 3/4 of the package & cook it (seasoned with only salt and pepper) for use in recipes like sloppy joes, spaghetti, tacos, etc. I freeze it in one pound portions - then for a quick meal, I thaw and season it for the recipe - then dinner is on the table even faster!
Also, I usually buy extra-extra lean ground beef, but if ground chuck is on sale, I snag up as much as I can! It has such a great flavor, especially for burgers and tacos!

No comments:

Post a Comment